What is a Title Tag?
The title of your page is perhaps one of the most important content areas of your site for SEO. As its name suggests, this tag includes the title or very brief summary of the content users can expect to find on the page. It's found in the head element of the HTML source.
A typical title tag:
<title>Your Source For Blue Widgets & Green Widgets | Acme Inc.</title>
The title is used in many places, but perhaps the two main areas of importance are the browser's title bar and the anchor text of your page's snippet on the SERP. Search engines give content in this area perhaps the highest weight of any content area on the page, so it's important that this area is optimized well.
What Does "Title Too Long" Mean?
A title is considered too long if it is longer than 570 pixels. Any URL with a title over this limit will be considered too long.
Why It's Important
There’s no penalty for a title that’s too long, but it’s a lost opportunity. Search engines will typically only show the first 570 pixels of the title, which is typically around 50-60 English characters. Anything past this point will not be visible to visitors and any keywords used will likely not help your rankings.
How to Fix
Consider shortening longer titles to under 570 pixels . You may not decide to do this with every URL, but it may be a good idea to fix more important pages on your site or those with keywords in the title past the 570 pixels mark.
Other Guidelines for Writing Effective Titles
Rewrite the title for each URL using your most important targeted keywords and keeping it under 570 pixels wide. Here are some other best practices for writing good titles:
- Each title should be unique. Ideally, no two URLs should share the same title.
- Place your most important keywords as early in the title as possible
- Keep title length to 570 pixels wide, which is about 50-60 English characters
- Keep your brand name or site name towards the end of the title
- Titles should be natural and human readable, not just comma-separated keyword lists
- For large sites, consider writing rules to programmatically generate your page titles, but make sure these are human readable and make sense